Dairy is defined as a place where milk and cream are kept and butter and cheese are made.noun
An example of a dairy is the building on a farm where the cow's milk is processed.
The definition of dairy is something referring to milk, cream, butter or cheese.adjective
An example of something dairy is ice cream.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
noun pl. dairies
- a building or room where milk and cream are kept and butter and cheese are made
- dairy farm
- a commercial establishment that processes and distributes milk and milk products
- a retail store where these are sold
Origin: ME daierie < daie, dairymaid < OE dæge, (female) bread maker < dag, dough + -erie, -ery
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. dair·ies
- A commercial establishment for processing or selling milk and milk products.
- A place where milk and cream are stored and processed.
- A dairy farm.
- The dairy business; dairying.
- Of, for, or relating to milk or milk products: the dairy section at the grocery store.
- Of or relating to dairying.
- Judaism Of, relating to, or intended for the consumption or preparation of milk or milk products exclusively, as dictated by dietary law.
Origin: Middle English daierie : Middle English daie, dairymaid (from Old English dǣge, bread kneader; see dheigh- in Indo-European roots) + Anglo-Norman -erie, place (from Old French; see -ery).