- The definition of dairy is something referring to milk, cream, butter or cheese.
An example of something dairy is ice cream.
- Dairy is defined as a place where milk and cream are kept and butter and cheese are made.
An example of a dairy is the building on a farm where the cow's milk is processed.
A dairy farm in Pennsylvania.
dairy definition by Webster's New World
- a building or room where milk and cream are kept and butter and cheese are made
- dairy farm
- a commercial establishment that processes and distributes milk and milk products
- a retail store where these are sold
Origin: Middle English daierie ; from daie, dairymaid ; from Old English dæge, (female) bread maker ; from dag, dough plush -erie, -ery
dairy definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. dair·ies
- A commercial establishment for processing or selling milk and milk products.
- A place where milk and cream are stored and processed.
- A dairy farm.
- The dairy business; dairying.
- Of, for, or relating to milk or milk products: the dairy section at the grocery store.
- Of or relating to dairying.
- Judaism Of, relating to, or intended for the consumption or preparation of milk or milk products exclusively, as dictated by dietary law.
Origin: Middle English daierie : Middle English daie, dairymaid (from Old English dǣge, bread kneader; see dheigh- in Indo-European roots) + Anglo-Norman -erie, place (from Old French; see -ery).