- a person who is much smaller than average, with head, limbs, and trunk proportionate to each other in size: now regarded as somewhat offensive or insulting
- anything very small of its kind
Origin of midgetdiminutive of midge
very small of its kind; miniature
- Offensive An extremely small person who is otherwise normally proportioned.
- A small or miniature version of something.
- A class of small objects, as a class of very small sailboats or racing cars.
- Miniature; diminutive.
- Belonging to a type or class much smaller than what is considered standard: a midget automobile.
Origin of midgetDiminutive of midge
- (originally) A little sandfly.
- Although tiny and just two-winged, midgets can bite you manyfold till you itch all over your unprotected skin
- (loosely) Any small swarming insect similar to the mosquito; a midge
- A normally proportioned person with small stature, usually defined as reaching an adult height less than 4'10". [from later 19th c.]
- (sometimes derogatory) Any short person.
- That is a small version of something; miniature
- the midget pony
- Used for an insect, this is a variation on midge that is incorrect but commonly used.