- a speck of excrement left by a fly
- any tiny spot
- a petty or insignificant error or flaw
to make flyspecks on
- A small dark speck or stain made by the excrement of a fly.
- A minute or insignificant spot.
transitive verbfly·specked, fly·speck·ing, fly·specks
- To mark or foul with flyspecks.
- Slang To examine closely or in minute detail; scrutinize.
(plural flyspecks or flyspeck)
- Housefly excrement, visible as a minuscule black dot.
- The wall of the kitchen above the fruitbowl was dotted with flyspeck.
- (by extension) Anything tiny or insignificant.
- From the foothills below, Jean, Jan, and James were mere flyspecks, easily lost among the straggly pines that formed the treeline.
- We passed through some flyspeck town, barely more than a gas station and a stoplight, but I never saw the name.