- The definition of dwarf is a person or thing that hasn't or won't reach typical size.
An example of dwarf is the planet Ceres.
- A dwarf is defined as a person or thing that is much smaller than typical.
An example of a dwarf is a sunflower that only grows to two feet tall.
- Dwarf means to keep or make small, or to make something seem small by comparison.
- An example of dwarf is pruning a tree so it doesn't grow any taller.
- An example of dwarf is placing a tall person next to a shorter person to make the shorter person feel extremely short.
This bonsai is a dwarfed larch tree.
dwarf definition by Webster's New World
- any human being, animal, or plant that is much smaller than the usual one of its species
- Folklore a little being in human form, usually ugly or malformed, to whom magic powers are attributed
- a star of relatively small size or mass and low luminosity
Origin: Middle English dwerf, dwergh ; from Old English dweorg, akin to German zwerg ; from Indo-European an unverified form dhwergh-, probably ; from base an unverified form dhwer-, to trick, injure from source Sanskrit dhvarati, (he) injures
- to keep from growing to full natural size
- to make small or insignificant
- to make seem small by comparison
dwarf definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. dwarfs dwarfs or dwarves
- a. An abnormally small person, often having limbs and features atypically proportioned or formed.b. An atypically small animal or plant.
- A small creature resembling a human, often ugly, appearing in legends and fairy tales.
- A dwarf star.
- To check the natural growth or development of; stunt: “The oaks were dwarfed from lack of moisture” (John Steinbeck).
- To cause to appear small by comparison: “Together these two big men dwarfed the tiny Broadway office” (Saul Bellow).
Origin: Middle English dwerf, from Old English dweorh.
- dwarfˈish adjective
- dwarfˈish·ness noun
dwarf - Medical Definition
noun pl. dwarfs or dwarves
dwarf - Science Definition
- An abnormally small person, often having limbs and features atypically proportioned or formed.
- An atypically small animal or plant.
- A dwarf star or dwarf galaxy.