- An example of sesquipedalian is half a yard of fabric.
- An example of sesquipedalian is someone who says they are magnanimous and ebullient.
The definition of sesquipedalian is something eighteen inches in length, is very lengthy or uses long words.
- measuring a foot and a half
- very long: said of words
- using, or characterized by the use of, long words
Origin of sesquipedalian; from Classical Latin sesquipedalis, of a foot and a half ; from sesqui- (see sesqui-) + pedalis ; from pes (gen. pedis), a foot
a long word
A long word.
- Given to or characterized by the use of long words.
- Long and ponderous; polysyllabic.
- A long word.
- A person who uses long words.
(comparative more sesquipedalian, superlative most sesquipedalian)