- The definition of sesquipedalian is something eighteen inches in length, is very lengthy or uses long words.
- An example of sesquipedalian is half a yard of fabric.
- An example of sesquipedalian is someone who says they are magnanimous and ebullient.
- measuring a foot and a half
- very long: said of words
- using, or characterized by the use of, long words
Origin: from Classical Latin sesquipedalis, of a foot and a half from sesqui- (see sesqui-) plush pedalis from pes (gen. pedis), a foot
- sesquipedalianism noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Given to or characterized by the use of long words.
- Long and ponderous; polysyllabic.