- a spreading, annual vine (Arachis hypogaea) of the pea family, with yellow flowers and brittle pods ripening underground and containing one to three edible seeds
- the pod or any of its seeds
- Slang a trifling or relatively small sum of money
Origin: pea + nut
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A prostrate southern Brazilian plant (Arachis hypogaea) widely cultivated in tropical and warm temperate regions, having yellow flowers on stalks that bend over so that the seed pods ripen underground.
- The edible, nutlike, oily seed of this plant, used for food and as a source of oil. Also called regionally goober, goober pea.
- A peanut-shaped piece of polystyrene, used in cushioning items during shipment.
- Slang a. A person small in stature.b. A person who is regarded as being insignificant.
- peanuts Informal A very small amount of money; a trifling sum.