- a spreading, annual vine (Arachis hypogaea) of the pea family, with yellow flowers and brittle pods ripening underground and containing one to three edible seeds
- the pod or any of its seeds
- Informal a small or insignificant person
- [pl.]Slang a trifling or relatively small sum of money
Origin of peanutpea + nut
- A prostrate southern Brazilian plant (Arachis hypogaea) widely cultivated in tropical and warm temperate regions, having yellow flowers on stalks that bend over so that the seed pods ripen underground.
- The edible, nutlike, oily seed of this plant, used for food and as a source of oil. Also called Also called regionally goober . Also called goober pea .
- A peanut-shaped piece of polystyrene, used in cushioning items during shipment.
- Slang a. A small child. Often used as a term of affection.b. A person who is regarded as insignificant.
- peanuts Informal A very small amount of money; a trifling sum.
(third-person singular simple present peanuts, present participle peanutting, simple past and past participle peanutted)