pea definition by Webster's New World
- an annual, tendril-climbing plant (Pisum sativum) of the pea family, with white or pinkish flowers and green seedpods
- its small, round, smooth or wrinkled seed, used as a vegetable
- any of various similar plants, as the cowpea
- the seed of any of these
Origin: back-formation ; from Middle English pese, pees, a pea, taken as plural ; from Old English pise ; from Late Latin pisa ; from Classical Latin plural of pisum, a pea ; from Classical Greek pison, a pea
pea definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A member of the pea family.
- A Eurasian climbing annual vine (Pisum sativum) cultivated in all temperate zones, having compound leaves with terminal leaflets modified into tendrils and globose, edible seeds enclosed in a green, elongated pod.
- The seed of this plant, used as a vegetable.
- also peas The unopened pods of this plant.
- Any of several plants of the genus Lathyrus, such as the sweet pea or the beach pea.
Origin: Back-formation from Middle English pease (mistaken for pl.), from Old English pise, piose, from Late Latin pīsa, variant of Latin pīsum, from Greek pisos, pison.
pea - Phrases/Idioms
as like as two peas (in a pod)