The definition of a bean is the edible seed of various plants.
Types of Beans
- Phaseolus Vulgaris - All beans fit into this category. They are divided into subcategories based upon their color.
- Frijoles Negro - Black beans.
- Phaseolus Limensis - Lima beans.
- Phaseolus Lunatus - Butter beans.
- Vicia Faba Major - Horse beans.
- Phaseolus Coccineus - Runner beans.
- Glycine Max - Soy beans.
- Phaseolus Acutifolius - Tepary beans.
- Phaseolus Angularis - Adzuki or Azuki beans.
Chickpeas, lentils and limas are each an example of a bean.
Two different types of beans.
bean definition by Webster's New World
- any of various leguminous plants; esp., any of several species of a genus (Phaseolus) of the pea family, including the kidney bean and lima bean
- the edible, smooth, kidney-shaped seed of any of these plants
- a pod with such seeds, eaten as a vegetable when still unripe
- the bean-shaped seed of some other plants: coffee bean
- any of these other plants: castor bean tree
- ☆ Slang the head, brain, or mind
- ☆ Slang even a small amount: used in negative constructions: not to know beans about something
Origin: Middle English ben ; from Old English bean; akin to Old Norse baun, German bohne ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps Indo-European an unverified form bhabhā from source Classical Latin faba, bean
- Slang to hit on the head
- Baseball to hit (a batter) on the head with a pitched ball
bean definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. Any of various New World twining herbs of the genus Phaseolus in the pea family, having leaves with three leaflets, variously colored flowers, and edible pods and seeds.b. A seed or pod of any of these plants.
- Any of several related plants or their seeds or pods, such as the adzuki bean, broad bean, or soybean.
- Any of various other plants or their seeds or fruits, especially those suggestive of beans, such as the coffee bean or the vanilla bean.
- Slang A person's head.
- beans Slang A small amount: I don't know beans about investing.
- Chiefly British A fellow; a chap.
Origin: Middle English ben, broad bean, from Old English bēan; see bha-bhā- in Indo-European roots.
, Roy Self-styled “the Law West of the Pecos.” 1825?-1903.
bean - Computer Definition
bean - Phrases/Idioms
full of beansSlang
- full of energy and vitality; lively
- â mistaken; in error
spill the beansâ
full of beans
- Energetic; frisky: The children were too full of beans to sit still.
- Badly mistaken: Don't believe him; he's full of beans.
spill the beans