The definition of a bean is the edible seed of various plants.
Types of Beans
- Phaseolus Vulgaris - All beans fit into this category. They are divided into subcategories based upon their color.
- Frijoles Negro - Black beans.
- Phaseolus Limensis - Lima beans.
- Phaseolus Lunatus - Butter beans.
- Vicia Faba Major - Horse beans.
- Phaseolus Coccineus - Runner beans.
- Glycine Max - Soy beans.
- Phaseolus Acutifolius - Tepary beans.
- Phaseolus Angularis - Adzuki or Azuki beans.
Chickpeas, lentils and limas are each an example of a bean.
Two different types of beans.
- any of various leguminous plants; esp., any of several species of a genus (Phaseolus) of the pea family, including the kidney bean and lima bean
- the edible, smooth, kidney-shaped seed of any of these plants
- a pod with such seeds, eaten as a vegetable when still unripe
- the bean-shaped seed of some other plants: coffee bean
- any of these other plants: castor bean tree
- ☆ Slang the head, brain, or mind
- ☆ Slang even a small amount: used in negative constructions: not to know beans about something
Origin of beanMiddle English ben ; from Old English bean; akin to Old Norse baun, German bohne ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps Indo-European an unverified form bhabhā from source Classical Latin faba, bean
- Slang to hit on the head
- Baseball to hit (a batter) on the head with a pitched ball
full of beansSlang
- full of energy and vitality; lively
- ☆ mistaken; in error
spill the beans☆
- a. Any of various twining herbs of the genus Phaseolus in the pea family, native to the Americas, having leaves with three leaflets and variously colored flowers, and widely cultivated for their edible pods and seeds.b. A seed or pod of any of these plants.
- Any of several related plants or their seeds or pods, such as the adzuki bean, broad bean, or soybean.
- Any of various other plants or their seeds or fruits, especially those suggestive of beans such as the coffee bean or vanilla bean.
- Slang A person's head.
- beans Slang A small amount: I don't know beans about investing.
- Chiefly British A fellow; a chap.
transitive verbbeaned, bean·ing, beans Slang
Origin of beanMiddle English ben, broad bean, from Old English bēan; see bha-bhā- in Indo-European roots.
- Any plant of several genera of the taxonomic family Fabaceae that produces large edible seeds or edible seed pods.
- The large edible seed of such a plant.
- The edible seed pod of such a plant.
- The bean-like seed of certain other plants, especially coffee; coffee in the general.
- An object resembling a pea or bean in shape, often made from plastic or styrofoam and used in large numbers as packing material or as stuffing for beanbags and similar items.
- (slang) The head or brain.
- (UK, slang, archaic) A guinea coin.
- (UK, slang, usually in the negative) Money.
- I haven't got a bean.
- (slang) The clitoris.
(third-person singular simple present beans, present participle beaning, simple past and past participle beaned)
From Middle English bene, from Old English bēan (“bean, pea, legume”), from Proto-Germanic *baunō (“bean”), from Proto-Indo-European *bʰabʰ- (“bean”). Cognate with Scots bene, bein (“bean”), West Frisian bean (“bean”), Dutch boon (“bean”), German Bohne (“bean”), Danish bønne (“bean”), Icelandic baun (“bean”), Latin faba (“bean”), Russian боб (bob, “bean”).
- A surname.