- The definition of a dome is a roof or building shaped in a dome, or is slang for the head.
- An example of a dome is the New Orleans sports arena, the Superdome.
- An example of a dome is two college buddies talking about what someone hit when he fell down the stairs.
The dome of the United States capitol.
- Old Poet. a mansion or stately building
- a hemispherical roof or one formed by a series of rounded arches or vaults on a round or many-sided base; cupola
- any dome-shaped structure or object; specif., a sports stadium covered with a dome
- Slang the head
- an anticlinal structure of circular or broadly elliptical form
- a type of crystal formation in which two symmetrical faces meet at an angle to form a horizontal ridge
Origin of domedomesense ; from Classical Latin domus, house (; from Indo-European an unverified form domu- ; from base an unverified form dem-, to build); others ; from French dôme ; from ProvenÃ§al doma ; from Ecclesiastical Late Latin roof, building, cathedral ; from Classical Greek dōma, housetop, house, temple ; from same Indo-European base: see timber, dominate
- a. A roof or vault having a circular, polygonal, or elliptical base and a generally hemispherical or semispherical shape.b. A geodesic dome.
- A domelike structure, object, or natural formation.
- Chemistry A form of crystal with two similarly inclined faces that meet at an edge parallel to the horizontal axis.
- Slang The human head.
- Archaic A large, stately building.
verbdomed domed, dom·ing, domes
- To cover with or as if with a dome.
- To shape like a dome.
Origin of domeFrom French dôme, dome, cathedral (from Italian duomo, cathedral, from Latin domus, house; see dem- in Indo-European roots) and from French dôme, roof (from Provençal doma, from Greek dōma, house; see dem- in Indo-European roots).
top: c. 685–691 ad Dome of the Rock
bottom: lava dome within Panum Crater, near Mono Lake
Lee Vining, California
- (architecture) A structural element resembling the hollow upper half of a sphere; a cupola.
- Anything shaped like an upset bowl, often used as a cover.
- a cake dome
- (slang) head (including the meaning 'oral sex')
- Was he in trouble, half a ton of rubble landed on the top of his dome. - Myles Rudge, "Right Said Fred"
- I got 5 Georgia homes where I rest my Georgia bones, Come anywhere on my land and I'll aim at your Georgia dome.- Ludacris
- Put your mouth on a dick, give me Georgia Dome -- Ying Yang Twins, "Georgia Dome"
- Any erection resembling the dome or cupola of a building, such as the upper part of a furnace, the vertical steam chamber on the top of a boiler, etc.
- (crystallography) A prism formed by planes parallel to a lateral axis which meet above in a horizontal edge, like the roof of a house; also, one of the planes of such a form.
From French dôme.