- a rounded roof or ceiling
- a small, domelike structure on a roof
- a small furnace for melting metals
- any of various dome-shaped structures
Origin of cupolaItalian ; from Classical Latin cupula, diminutive of cupa: see cup
- Architecture a. A vaulted roof or ceiling.b. A small dome set on a circular or polygonal base or resting on pillars.c. A domelike structure surmounting a roof or dome, often used as a lookout or to admit light and air.
- A cylindrical shaft type of blast furnace used for remelting metals, usually iron, before casting.
- A small rounded and domed structure, as for observation, on a tracked, armored vehicle.
Origin of cupolaItalian, from Late Latin c&umacron;pula, diminutive of Latin c&umacron;pa, tub.
(plural cupolas or cupolae)