- The definition of a coffer is a box or chest, particularly one that stores valuables or a treasury of funds.
- An example of coffer is a jewelry box.
- An example of coffer is the money kept by a club.
- Coffer means to put or lay in a chest or box.
An example of coffer is to place a valuable ring in a jewelry box.
An old leather coffer.
coffer definition by Webster's New World
- a chest or strongbox for keeping money or valuables
- a treasury; funds
- a decorative sunken panel as in a vault, dome, etc.
- a cofferdam
- a lock in a canal
Origin: Middle English ; from Old French cofre, a chest ; from Classical Latin cophinus: see coffin
- to enclose in a coffer or chest
- to furnish with decorative sunken panels
coffer definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A strongbox.
- often coffersa. Financial resources; funds.b. A treasury: stole money from the union coffers.
- Architecture A decorative sunken panel in a ceiling, dome, soffit, or vault.
- The chamber formed by a canal lock.
- A cofferdam.
- A floating dock.
- To put in a coffer.
- Architecture To supply (a ceiling, for example) with decorative sunken panels.
Origin: Middle English cofre, from Old French, alteration of *cofne, from Latin cophinus, basket; see coffin.