- Gr. Legend
- a fruit that was supposed to induce a dreamy languor and forgetfulness
- the plant bearing this fruit, variously supposed to be the date, the jujube, etc.
- any of various waterlilies, esp. the (Nymphaea lotus), once sacred in Egypt, or the pink or white Asian lotus (Nelumbo nucifera), used as a religious symbol in Hinduism and Buddhism
- a representation of any of these plants in ancient, esp. Egyptian, sculpture and architecture
- any of a genus (Lotus) of plants of the pea family, with irregular, pinnate leaves and yellow, purple, or white flowers
L < Gr lōtos < Heb lōṭ