- Gr. Legend
- a fruit inducing a dreamy languor and forgetfulness
- the plant bearing this fruit, variously supposed to be the date, the jujube, etc.
- any of various waterlilies, esp. the white lotus (Nymphaea lotus), once sacred in Egypt, or the pink or white Asian lotus (Nelumbo nucifera), used as a religious symbol in Hinduism and Buddhism
- a representation of any of these plants in ancient, esp. Egyptian, sculpture and architecture
- any of a genus (Lotus) of plants of the pea family, with irregular, pinnate leaves and yellow, purple, or white flowers
Origin of lotusClassical Latin from Classical Greek l?tos from Classical Hebrew (language) l??