- The definition of a genus is a class of items such as a group of animals or plants with similar traits, qualities or features.
An example of a genus is all the species of mushrooms that are part of the Amanita family.
nounpl. genera or genuses
- a class; kind; sort
- Biol. a major category in the classification of animals, plants, etc., ranking above a species and below a family: it can include one species or many similar species: the Latinized genus name is capitalized and italicized, and precedes the species name, which is italicized but not capitalized (Ex.: Homo sapiens, modern man)
- Logic a class of things made up of subordinate classes or species
Origin of genusClassical Latin birth, origin, race, species, kind ; from Indo-European base an unverified form ĝen-, to beget, produce from source Classical Latin gignere, to beget, gens, clan, Classical Greek genos, race, gignesthai, to be born, German kind, child, Old English (ge)cynd, kind, cennan, to beget; also, with loss of initial g-, Classical Latin nasci, to be born, natura, nature
- Biology A taxonomic category ranking below a family and above a species and designating a group of species that are presumed to be closely related and usually exhibit similar characteristics. In a scientific name, the genus name is capitalized and italicized, for example,Ovis for sheep and related animals.
- Logic A class of objects divided into subordinate species having certain common attributes.
- A class, group, or kind with common attributes.
Origin of genusLatin, kind; see gen&schwa;- in Indo-European roots.
- (biology, taxonomy) a rank in the classification of organisms, below family and above species; a taxon at that rank
- All magnolias belong to the genus Magnolia.
- Other species of the genus Bos are often called cattle or wild cattle.
- There are only two genera and species of seadragons.
- A group with common attributes
- (topology) A number measuring some aspect of the complexity of any of various manifolds or graphs
- (semantics) Within a definition, a broader category of the defined concept.