- The definition of tighten is to make something more fixed in place, more constricted, or more snug.
- To turn the lid on a jar is an example of tighten.
- To cut back on spending is an example of tighten a budget.
- To tailor a shirt to fit more closely is an example of tighten.
tr. & intr.v.tight·ened, tight·en·ing, tight·ens
(third-person singular simple present tightens, present participle tightening, simple past and past participle tightened)
- To make tighter.
- Please tighten that screw a quarter-turn.
- (intransitive) To become tighter.
- That joint is tightening as the wood dries.
- (economics) To make money harder to borrow or obtain.
- If the government doesn't tighten the money supply, inflation is certain to be harsh.
- (economics) To raise short-term interest rates.
- The Fed is expected to tighten by a quarter-point.
- (make tighter): loosen
Old English tyhtan.