- To turn the lid on a jar is an example of tighten.
- To cut back on spending is an example of tighten a budget.
- To tailor a shirt to fit more closely is an example of tighten.
The definition of tighten is to make something more fixed in place, more constricted, or more snug.
to make or become tight or tighter
tr. & intr.v.tight·ened, tight·en·ing, tight·ens
To make or become tight or tighter.
(third-person singular simple present tightens, present participle tightening, simple past and past participle tightened)
- To make tighter.
- Please tighten that screw a quarter-turn.
- (intransitive) To become tighter.
- That joint is tightening as the wood dries.
- (economics) To make money harder to borrow or obtain.
- If the government doesn't tighten the money supply, inflation is certain to be harsh.
- (economics) To raise short-term interest rates.
- The Fed is expected to tighten by a quarter-point.
Old English tyhtan.