- Soften is defined as to make more soft or more gentle.
An example of soften is rubbing body lotion into dry skin.
soften definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
transitive verb, intransitive verb
- to make or become soft or softer
- to weaken the resistance or opposition of
Origin: Middle English softnen: see soft and amp; -en
soften definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb soft·ened, soft·en·ing, soft·ens verb, transitive
- To make soft or softer.
- To undermine or reduce the strength, morale, or resistance of.
- To make less harsh, strident, or critical: softened the last paragraph of the letter.
To become soft or softer.
- softˈen·er noun