- To strengthen is to make stronger.
- An example of strengthen is to lift weights to make stronger muscles.
- An example of strengthen is to reinforce a beam.
to increase in strength; make or become stronger
verbstrength·ened, strength·en·ing, strength·ens
To make strong or increase the strength of.
To become strong or stronger.
(third-person singular simple present strengthens, present participle strengthening, simple past and past participle strengthened)
- To make strong or stronger; to add strength to; to increase the strength of; to fortify; to reinforce.
- to strengthen a limb, a bridge, an army
- to strengthen an obligation
- to strengthen authority
- To animate; to give moral strength to; to encourage; to fix in resolution; to hearten.
- To augment; to improve; to intensify.
- (intransitive) To grow strong or stronger.