- Fasten is defined as to join one thing to another, or to secure.
An example of fasten is to button a coat.
A mother fastens her daughters coat.
fasten definition by Webster's New World
- to join (one thing to another); attach; connect
- to make fast or secure, as by locking, shutting, buttoning, etc.; fix firmly in place
- to hold, fix, or direct (the attention, gaze, etc.) steadily on something
- to cause to be connected or attributed; impute: to fasten a crime on someone
- to force (oneself) on or upon another in an annoying way
Origin: Middle English fastnen ; from Old English fæstnian ; from base of fæst: see fast
- to become attached or joined
- to take a firm hold (on or upon); seize; cling
- to concentrate (on or upon)
fasten definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb fas·tened, fas·ten·ing, fas·tens verb, transitive
- To attach firmly to something else, as by pinning or nailing.
- a. To make fast or secure.b. To close, as by fixing firmly in place.
- To fix or direct steadily: fastened her gaze on the stranger.
- To place; attribute: fastened the blame on the weather.
- To impose (oneself) without welcome.
- To become attached, fixed, or joined.
- To take firm hold; cling fast: fasten on a notion.
- To focus steadily; concentrate: All eyes fastened on the speaker.
Origin: Middle English fastnen, from Old English fǽstnian; see past- in Indo-European roots.
- fasˈten·er noun