- Obsolete a bend, angle, or hollow, specif. of a body structure
- a loop or slack part in a rope
- a curve in a river, coastline, etc.
- a bay formed by such a curve
Origin: Middle English ; from Old English byht ; from base of bugan (see bow); akin to Dutch and amp; German bucht
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. A loop in a rope.b. The middle or slack part of an extended rope.
- a. A bend or curve, especially in a shoreline.b. A wide bay formed by such a bend or curve.
Origin: Middle English, bend, angle, from Old English byht; see bheug- in Indo-European roots.
bight - Science Definition
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.