Front and back of a guinea.
- A sum equal to 21 shillings that is sometimes used to determine the price of a table at auction is an example of a guinea.
- A country on the coast of West Africa is an example of Guinea.
The definition of a guinea is a gold British coin that was issued from 1663 to 1813 and was worth one pound and one shilling, or a coastal region in West Africa, or an offensive slang word for a person of Italian descent.
Origin of guineaafter Guinea (the region), said to be the source of the gold from which it was first minted for use in trade in that region a former English gold coin, last minted in 1813, equal to 21 shillings: the word is still used in England in giving prices of luxury items
- guinea fowl
- Slang an Italian or a person of Italian descent: an offensive term of hostility and contempt
- coastal region of W Africa, between Senegal & Nigeria
- country in this region: formerly a French colony, it became independent in 1958: 94,926 sq mi (245,857 sq km); cap. Conakry
- part of the Atlantic, off the W coast of Africa
- a. A gold coin issued in England from 1663 to 1813 and worth one pound and one shilling.b. The sum of one pound and one shilling.
- Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a person of Italian birth or descent.
Origin of guineaAfter the Guinea, coast of Africa, the source of the gold from which it was first made.
- A historical region of western and equatorial Africa extending along the coast from Gambia to Angola. Sections of the area from the Bight of Benin westward were known to early traders as the Slave, Gold, Ivory, and Grain Coasts.
- A country of western Africa on the Atlantic Ocean. Inhabited by Fulani, Malinke, and Susu peoples, parts of present-day Guinea belonged to the medieval kingdom of Ghana and later to the Mali Empire. Explored by the Portuguese in the 1400s, it came under French control in the 1800s, becoming a part of French West Africa in 1895. Guinea gained its independence in 1958. Conakry is the capital and the largest city.
- (US, slang, pejorative) A person of Italian descent.
- (UK) A gold coin originally worth twenty shillings and originally made from gold imported from Africa; later (from 1717 until the adoption of decimal currency) standardised at a value of twenty-one shillings.
- A ground-foraging bird of Africa, of the family Numididae. Domesticated strains include Pearl, White, Buff, Blue, Purple and Lavender. Also called guinea fowl.