- The definition of road, in sports, is being played on another team's home field.
An example of road used as an adjective is in the phrase "road team," which means the team whose home base is at another location.
- Road is defined as a path, course or space for traveling between places.
An example of a road is a highway.
A road winds through the woods.
road definition by Webster's New World
- a way made for traveling between places, esp. distant places, by automobile, horseback, etc.; highway
- a way; path; course: the road to fortune
- ☆ railroad
Origin: Middle English rode, a riding ; from Old English rad, a ride, traveling on horseback, way; akin to ridan, to ride
road definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. Abbr. Rd. An open, generally public way for the passage of vehicles, people, and animals.b. The surface of a road; a roadbed.
- A course or path: the road to riches.
- A railroad.
- Nautical A roadstead. Often used in the plural.
Origin: Middle English rode, rade, a riding, road, from Old English rād; see reidh- in Indo-European roots.
road - Phrases/Idioms
on the road
- traveling, esp. as a salesman
- on tour: said as of a troupe of actors
- playing on the home field, court, etc. of another team or other teams
one for the road
take to the road
down the road
on the road
- On tour, as a theatrical company.
- Traveling, especially as a salesperson.
- Wandering, as a vagabond.