- The definition of high road is the morally proper choice.
An example of taking the high road is when someone calls you a name and you just turn and walk away instead of getting into an argument.
- Chiefly Brit. a main road; highway
- an easy or direct way
- a course of action, position, etc. that is uninfluenced by partisanship, self-interest, vindictiveness, etc.: usually in the phrase
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. The easiest or surest path or course: the high road to happiness.b. The most positive, diplomatic, or ethical course.
- Chiefly British A main road; a highway.