- The definition of a bypass is a secondary connection that goes around the main route or that provides an alternative means of arriving at a destination, or a surgical procedure designed to provide an alternative route.
- A street designed to let you drive over the highway and skip the highway traffic is an example of a bypass.
- A surgery performed to create a different path for blood to travel to the heart after your arteries get blocked is an example of a bypass.
- To bypass is to provide an alternative way around, or to get around something.
If you take a shortcut to avoid traffic, this is an example of a time when you bypass traffic.
bypass definition by Webster's New World
- a way, path, etc. between two points that avoids or is auxiliary to the main way; specif., an alternative highway route, as for skirting an urban area
- a pipe or channel providing an auxiliary passage for gas or liquid, as that leading to the pilot light in a gas stove
- Elec. shunt ()
- a surgical operation to provide passage for a fluid, as blood, around a diseased or blocked part or organin full bypass operation
- such a passage
- a surgical operation to provide passage for a fluid, as blood, around a diseased or blocked part or organ
- to go around instead of through; use a bypass to avoid
- to furnish with a bypass
- to ignore, fail to consult, etc.
bypass definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A highway or section of a highway that passes around an obstructed or congested area.
- A pipe or channel used to conduct gas or liquid around another pipe or a fixture.
- A means of circumvention.
- Electricity See shunt.
- Medicine a. An alternative passage created surgically to divert the flow of blood or other bodily fluid or circumvent an obstructed or diseased organ.b. A surgical procedure to create such a channel: a coronary artery bypass; a gastric bypass.
- To avoid (an obstacle) by using an alternative channel, passage, or route.
- To be heedless of; ignore: bypassed standard office procedures.
- To channel (piped liquid, for example) through a bypass.
bypass - Computer Definition
In communications, to avoid the local telephone company by using satellites and microwave systems.
bypass - Medical Definition
- A passage created surgically to divert the flow of blood or other bodily fluid or to circumvent an obstructed or diseased organ.
- A surgical procedure to create such a channel.
bypass - Science Definition
In this example of coronary bypass surgery, a vein graft is used to bypass a diseased right coronary artery.