an expressway passing around an urban area
Washington, D.C., esp. as regarded as the center of U.S. government and politics: so called from the expressway around the District of Columbia & nearby areas
A high-speed highway that encircles or skirts an urban area. Also called belt highway.
- The beltway surrounding Washington, DC.
- The political establishment of Washington, DC, including federal officeholders, lobbyists, consultants, and media commentators.
- A 64-mile Interstate freeway surrounding Washington, D.C..
- (mostly local usage) The expressway that surrounds another city.
- (US, politics) The US federal government and policy and lobbying organizations, located in Washington, D.C..
(comparative more Beltway, superlative most Beltway)
- Of or relating to the culture of Washington, D.C.; politicized.