The universe is vast.
- The definition of vast is a large or immense quantity.
An example of a vast quantity is 300 balloons.
- Vast is a large or immense space.
An example of vast is the Universe.
Origin of vastClassical Latin vastus: see waste
- Very great in size, extent, or quantity. See Synonyms at enormous.
- Very great in scope or import: a vast improvement.
Origin of vastLatin vāstus
(comparative vaster or more vast, superlative vastest or most vast)
- Very large or wide (literally or figuratively).
- The Sahara desert is vast.
- There is a vast difference between them.
- Very great in size, amount, degree, intensity, or especially extent.
- (poetic) A vast space.
From Latin vastus (“void, immense").