- The definition of grandiose is something that is grand or magnificent or something that is trying to be impressive but is much too large, making it seem pretentious or overdone.
An example of something that would be described as grandiose is an excessively large mansion decorated in an overdone way just to impress the neighbors.
grandiose definition by Webster's New World
- having grandeur or magnificence; imposing; impressive
- seeming or trying to seem very important; pompous and showy
Origin: French ; from Italian grandioso ; from Classical Latin grandis, great, grand
grandiose definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Characterized by greatness of scope or intent; grand. See Synonyms at grand.
- Characterized by feigned or affected grandeur; pompous.
Origin: French, from Italian grandioso, from grande, great, from Latin grandis.
- granˈdi·oseˌly adverb
- granˌdi·osˈi·ty , granˈdi·oseˌness noun