The definition of grandiose is something that is grand or magnificent or something that is trying to be impressive but is much too large, making it seem pretentious or overdone.adjective
An example of something that would be described as grandiose is an excessively large mansion decorated in an overdone way just to impress the neighbors.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- having grandeur or magnificence; imposing; impressive
- seeming or trying to seem very important; pompous and showy
Origin: Fr < It grandioso < L grandis, great, grand
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Characterized by greatness of scope or intent; grand. See Synonyms at grand.
- Characterized by feigned or affected grandeur; pompous.
Origin: French, from Italian grandioso, from grande, great, from Latin grandis.
- granˈdi·oseˌly adverb
- granˌdi·osˈi·ty , granˈdi·oseˌness noun