The universe is infinite.
If you have an endless amount of time, this is an example of havinginfinite time.
- lacking limits or bounds; extending beyond measure or comprehension: without beginning or end; endless
- very great; vast; immense
- Math. indefinitely large; greater than any finite number however large
- capable of being put into one-to-one correspondence with a part of itself: infinite set
Origin of infiniteMiddle English ; from Classical Latin infinitus: see in- and amp; finite
the Infinite (Being)
- Having no boundaries or limits; impossible to measure or calculate. See Synonyms at incalculable.
- Immeasurably great or large; boundless: infinite patience; a discovery of infinite importance.
- Mathematics a. Existing beyond or being greater than any arbitrarily large value.b. Unlimited in spatial extent: a line of infinite length.c. Of or relating to a set capable of being put into one-to-one correspondence with a proper subset of itself.
Origin of infiniteMiddle English infinit, from Old French, from Latin &imacron;nf&imacron;n&imacron;tus : in-, not; see in–1 + f&imacron;n&imacron;tus, finite, from past participle of f&imacron;n&imacron;re, to limit; see finite.
(comparative more infinite, superlative most infinite)
- Indefinably large, countlessly great; immense. [from 14th c.]
- Boundless, endless, without end or limits; innumerable. [from 15th c.]
- (now rare) With plural noun: infinitely many. [from 15th c.]
- (mathematics) Greater than any positive quantity or magnitude; limitless. [from 17th c.]
- (set theory, of a set) Having infinitely many elements.
- (grammar) Not limited by person or number. [from 19th c.]
- (music) Capable of endless repetition; said of certain forms of the canon, also called perpetual fugues, constructed so that their ends lead to their beginnings.
Although the term is incomparable in the precise sense, it can be comparable both in mathematics and set theory to compare different degrees of infinity, and informally to denote yet a larger thing.
- (set theory): countably infinite
- (set theory): uncountable