- The definition of tremendous is something wonderful, or something large in size or scale.
- An example of someone who would be described as a tremendous singer is a person who has just won an award for Singer of the Year.
- An example of something that would be described as a tremendous mess is a gigantic mess.
- Archaic such as to make one tremble; terrifying; dreadful
- very large; great; enormous
- Informal wonderful, amazing, extraordinary, etc.
Origin of tremendousClassical Latin tremendus ; from tremere, to tremble
- a. Extremely large in amount, extent, or size; enormous: a tremendous sum of money. See Synonyms at enormous.b. Very great in scope or importance: tremendous influence.
- Remarkable; outstanding: What a tremendous example you have set.
- Archaic Capable of making one tremble; terrible.
Origin of tremendousFrom Latin tremendus, gerundive of tremere, to tremble.
(comparative more tremendous, superlative most tremendous)
From Latin tremendus (â€œfearful, terribleâ€), gerund form of tremere (â€œto trembleâ€), from Ancient Greek Ï„ÏÎÎ¼Ï‰ (tremo)