The definition of tremendous is something wonderful, or something large in size or scale.adjective
- An example of someone who would be described as a tremendous singer is a person who has just won an award for Singer of the Year.
- An example of something that would be described as a tremendous mess is a gigantic mess.
- Archaic such as to make one tremble; terrifying; dreadful
- very large; great; enormous
- Informal wonderful, amazing, extraordinary, etc.
Origin: L tremendus < tremere, to tremble
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. Extremely large in amount, extent, or degree; enormous: a tremendous task. See Synonyms at enormous.b. Informal Marvelous; wonderful: had a tremendous time at the theater last night.
- Capable of making one tremble; terrible.
Origin: From Latin tremendus, gerundive of tremere, to tremble.
- tre·menˈdous·ly adverb
- tre·menˈdous·ness noun