- The definition of tremendous is something wonderful, or something large in size or scale.
- An example of someone who would be described as a tremendous singer is a person who has just won an award for Singer of the Year.
- An example of something that would be described as a tremendous mess is a gigantic mess.
- Archaic such as to make one tremble; terrifying; dreadful
- very large; great; enormous
- Informal wonderful, amazing, extraordinary, etc.
Origin of tremendousClassical Latin tremendus ; from tremere, to tremble
- a. Extremely large in amount, extent, or size; enormous: a tremendous sum of money. See Synonyms at enormous.b. Very great in scope or importance: tremendous influence.
- Remarkable; outstanding: What a tremendous example you have set.
- Archaic Capable of making one tremble; terrible.
Origin of tremendousFrom Latin tremendus, gerundive of tremere, to tremble.
(comparative more tremendous, superlative most tremendous)
From Latin tremendus (“fearful, terrible"), gerund form of tremere (“to tremble"), from Ancient Greek Ï„ÏÎÎ¼Ï‰ (tremo)