A frightful storm.
- causing fright; terrifying; alarming
- shocking; terrible
- unpleasant; annoying
- great: in a frightful hurry
- Causing disgust or shock; horrifying.
- Causing fright; terrifying.
- Informal a. Excessive; extreme: a frightful liar.b. Disagreeable; distressing: frightful weather.
(comparative more frightful, superlative most frightful)
- Full of that which causes fright; exciting alarm; impressing terror; shocking; as, a frightful chasm, or tempest; a frightful appearance.
- Used as an intensifier
- We wasted a frightful amount of money on renovations.
From Middle English frightful (“afraid”), from Old English forhtful (“fainthearted, timorous”), equivalent to fright + -ful.