- A really really ugly dress is an example of a monstrous dress.
- A person who is prone to bouts of violent temper and beating people up for no reason is an example of someone who is monstrous.
- A 10,000 square foot mansion is an example of a monstrous house.
- abnormally or prodigiously large; huge; enormous
- very unnatural or abnormal in shape, type, or character
- having the character or appearance of a monster
- horrible; hideous; shocking
- hideously wrong or evil; atrocious
Origin of monstrousLate Middle English from Old French monstreux from Classical Latin monstrosus from monstrum: see monster
- a. Shockingly hideous or frightful in appearance.b. Of or resembling a fabulous monster.
- Exceptionally large; enormous: a monstrous tidal wave.
- Extremely immoral or cruel: a monstrous dictator; monstrous behavior.
- Archaic Deviating greatly from the norm in appearance or structure; abnormal.
Origin of monstrousMiddle English from Old French monstruos from Latin mōnstruōsus from mōnstrum portent, monster ; see monster .
(comparative more monstrous, superlative most monstrous)