- Bad injuries that are so horrible you have to look away are an example of ghastly injuries.
- A person who is very pale and sick is an example of someone who would be described as looking ghastly.
- A really ugly wallpaper is an example of something you would describe as ghastly wallpaper.
- horrible; frightful
- ghostlike; pale; haggard
- Informal very bad or unpleasant
Origin of ghastlyMiddle English gastli ; from gast, frightened, past participle of gasten, to frighten ; from Old English gæstan ; from gæst, variant, variety of gast (see ghost): meaning influenced, influence in Middle English by gostlich, ghostly
- Causing shock, revulsion, or horror; terrifying: a ghastly murder.
- Resembling a ghost; pale or pallid.
- Extremely unpleasant or bad: “in the most abominable passage of his ghastly little book” (Conor Cruise O'Brien).
Origin of ghastlyAlteration (influenced by ghost) of Middle English gastli, from gasten, to terrify; see aghast.
(comparative ghastlier, superlative ghastliest)
- In a ghastly manner.
- He turned ghastly pale on hearing the news.