- Bad injuries that are so horrible you have to look away are an example of ghastly injuries.
- A person who is very pale and sick is an example of someone who would be described as looking ghastly.
- A really ugly wallpaper is an example of something you would describe as ghastly wallpaper.
The definition of ghastly is something repellent, horrible, frightful, ugly, macabre or sickly.
- horrible; frightful
- ghostlike; pale; haggard
- Informal very bad or unpleasant
Origin of ghastlyMiddle English gastli from gast, frightened, past participle of gasten, to frighten from Old English gæstan from gæst, variant, variety of gast (see ghost): meaning influenced, influence in Middle English by gostlich, ghostly
- Causing shock, revulsion, or horror; terrifying: a ghastly murder.
- Resembling a ghost; pale or pallid.
- Extremely unpleasant or bad: “in the most abominable passage of his ghastly little book” ( Conor Cruise O'Brien )
Origin of ghastlyAlteration (influenced by ghost ) of Middle English gastli from gasten to terrify ; see aghast .
(comparative ghastlier, superlative ghastliest)
- In a ghastly manner.
- He turned ghastly pale on hearing the news.