- The definition of deathly is something that is related to or likely to cause death.
A person who is extremely ill and likely to die is an example of someone who would be described as deathly ill.
deathly definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- causing death; deadly
- like or characteristic of death
Origin: Middle English dethlich ; from Old English dēathlic: see death
- in a deathlike way; to a deadly degree
- extremely: deathly ill
deathly definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Of, resembling, or characteristic of death: a deathly silence.
- Causing death; fatal.
- In the manner of death.
- Extremely; very: The night was deathly cold.