Eco-friendly cleaning products are a good choice to use because they have a benign impact on the environment.
- A non-cancerous tumor is an example of a benign growth.
- Earth friendly cleaning products are an example of benign reactions to the environment.
- good-natured; kindly
- favorable; beneficial
- Med. doing little or no harm; not malignant; specif., not cancerous: benign tumors
Origin of benignMiddle English and Old French benigne from Classical Latin benignus, good, literally , well-born from bene, well (cf. sense development of gentle) + genus, birth: see genus
- a. Having little or no detrimental effect; harmless: a benign chemical; benign indifference.b. Of no danger to health; not malignant or disease-causing: a benign tumor.
- Tending to exert a beneficial influence; favorable: a policy with benign consequences for the economy.
- a. Gentle or kind: “a world regarded as the creative product of a benign God” ( Nicholas Rescher )b. Showing gentleness or kindness: a benign smile. See Synonyms at kind1.
Origin of benignMiddle English benigne from Old French from Latin benignus ; see genə- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative benigner or more benign, superlative benignest or most benign)