- The definition of affable is a person who is friendly or easy to talk to.
A person who makes you feel welcome is an example of an affable person.
- pleasant and easy to approach or talk to; friendly
- gentle and kindly: an affable smile
Origin of affableMiddle English affabyl ; from Classical Latin affabilis ; from ad-, to + fari, to speak: see fame
- Easy and pleasant to speak to; approachable.
- Gentle and gracious: an affable smile.
Origin of affableMiddle English affabil, from Old French affable, from Latin affābilis, from affārī, to speak to : ad-, ad- + fārī, to speak; see bhā-2 in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more affable, superlative most affable)