- The definition of benevolent is enjoying helping others or someone whose primary characteristic is being warm or friendly.
- An example of benevolent was Mother Theresa.
- An example of benevolent is Ellen DeGeneres.
- An example of benevolent is the Susan G. Komen Foundation.
A benevolent neighbor.
benevolent definition by Webster's New World
- doing or inclined to do good; kindly; charitable
- characterized by or resulting from benevolence
Origin: Middle English and amp; Old French ; from Classical Latin benevolens ; from bene, well plush volens, present participle of velle, to wish: see will
- benevolently adverb
benevolent definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Characterized by or suggestive of doing good.
- Of, concerned with, or organized for the benefit of charity.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin benevolēns, benevolent- : bene, well; see deu-2 in Indo-European roots + volēns, present participle of velle, to wish; see wel-1 in Indo-European roots.
- be·nevˈo·lent·ly adverb