- The definition of sympathetic is feeling compassion for someone or a situation, or connected by a mutual feeling or passion.
- An example of sympathetic is a person who feels badly for a friend who lost her job.
- An example of sympathetic is a person who connects to another because of a shared passion for environmentalism.
sympathetic definition by Webster's New World
- of, expressing, resulting from, feeling, or showing sympathy; sympathizing
- in agreement with one's tastes, mood, feelings, disposition, etc.; congenial
- showing favor, approval, or agreement: to be sympathetic to a plan
- Physiol. designating or of that part of the autonomic nervous system whose nerves originate in the lumbar and thoracic regions of the spinal cord and that is especially concerned with mediating the involuntary response to alarm, as by speeding the heart rate, raising the blood pressure, and dilating the pupils of the eyes: these nerves oppose the parasympathetic nerves in the regulation of many body processes
- Physics, Acoustics designating or of vibrations, sounds, etc. caused by other vibrations of the same period transmitted from a neighboring vibrating body
Origin: Modern Latin sympatheticus ; from Classical Greek sympatheia, sympathy, influenced, influence by Classical Greek pathētikos, pathetic
- sympathetically adverb
sympathetic definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Of, expressing, feeling, or resulting from sympathy: a sympathetic glance.
- Favorably inclined: not at all sympathetic to her proposal.
- Agreeably suited to one's disposition or mood; congenial: sympathetic surroundings.
- Of, relating to, or acting on the sympathetic nervous system: a sympathetic neuron; sympathetic stimulation.
- a. Relating to or being vibrations, especially musical tones, produced in one body by energy from a nearby vibrating body and having the same frequency as the vibration of the nearby body.b. Emitting such vibrations: sympathetic strings.
Origin: Greek sumpathētikos, from sumpatheia, sympathy; see sympathy.
- symˌpa·thetˈi·cal·ly adverb
sympathetic - Medical Definition