The definition of benevolence is a kind act or gift or the doing of kind things for others.noun
- An example of benevolence is a gift of money affording someone the opportunity to go to college.
- An example of someone who had feelings of benevolence was Mother Theresa.
- an inclination to do good; kindliness
- a kindly, charitable act or gift; beneficence
- a forced loan formerly levied by some English kings on their subjects
Origin: ME & OFr < L benevolentia: see benevolent
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- An inclination to perform kind, charitable acts.
- a. A kindly act.b. A gift given out of generosity.
- A compulsory tax or payment exacted by some English sovereigns without the consent of Parliament.