- The definition of altruism is caring about other people and their needs without regard for your own needs.
Charity is an example of altruism.
altruism definition by Webster's New World
- unselfish concern for the welfare of others; selflessness
- Ethics the doctrine that the general welfare of society is the proper goal of an individual's actions
Origin: French altruisme ; from Italian altrui or French autrui, of or to others ; from Classical Latin alter, another: see alter
- altruist noun
altruism definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Unselfish concern for the welfare of others; selflessness.
- Zoology Instinctive behavior that is detrimental to the individual but favors the survival or spread of that individual's genes, as by benefiting its relatives.
Origin: French altruisme, probably from Italian altrui, someone else, from Latin alter, other; see al-1 in Indo-European roots.
- alˈtru·ist noun
- alˌtru·isˈtic adjective
- alˌtru·isˈti·cal·ly adverb
altruism - Cultural Definition
A selfless concern for others.
altruism - Science Definition