The definition of altruism is caring about other people and their needs without regard for your own needs.noun
Charity is an example of altruism.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- unselfish concern for the welfare of others; selflessness
- Ethics the doctrine that the general welfare of society is the proper goal of an individual's actions
Origin: Fr altruisme < It altrui or Fr autrui, of or to others < L alter, another: see alter
- altruist noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Unselfish concern for the welfare of others; selflessness.
- Zoology Instinctive behavior that is detrimental to the individual but favors the survival or spread of that individual's genes, as by benefiting its relatives.
Origin: French altruisme, probably from Italian altrui, someone else, from Latin alter, other; see al-1 in Indo-European roots.
- alˈtru·ist noun
- alˌtru·isˈtic adjective
- alˌtru·isˈti·cal·ly adverb
altruism - Cultural Definition
A selfless concern for others.
altruism - Science Definition
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.