- Devotion is defined as loyalty, love or practicing and believing in a specific religion.
- An example of devotion is what a dog feels for his kind master.
- An example of devotion is belief in the Catholic faith and living as a practicing Catholic.
- the fact, quality, or state of being devoted
- piety; devoutness
- religious worship
- one or more prayers or other religious practices, specif. of a private or nonofficial kind
- loyalty or deep affection
- the act of devoting
Origin of devotionMiddle English devociun ; from Old French devotion ; from Classical Latin devotio
- Ardent, often selfless affection and dedication, as to a person or principle.
- Religious ardor or zeal; piety.
- a. often devotions An act of religious observance or prayer, especially when private.b. A religious text presenting a prayer, frequently accompanied by an introductory scriptural passage and a homiletic gloss.
- The act of devoting or the state of being devoted: the devotion of resources to research.
(usually uncountable, plural devotions)