An example of sanctity is the importance of marriage, or the “sanctity of marriage.”
- saintliness or holiness
- the fact of being sacred or inviolable
- pl. -·ties anything held sacred: usually used in pl.
Origin of sanctityClassical Latin sanctitas ; from sanctus (see saint) + -itas, -ity
- Holiness of life or disposition; saintliness.
- The quality or condition of being considered sacred; inviolability.
- Something considered sacred.
Origin of sanctityMiddle English saunctite, from Old French sainctite, from Latin sanctitas, from sanctus, sacred; see sanctify.
(countable and uncountable, plural sanctities)