The congregation expressed their piety by opening their arms when the music played.
Piety is defined as devotion and reverence to religious practices and God.
An example of piety is going to church.
- devotion to religious duties and practices
- loyalty and devotion to parents, family, etc.
- pl. -·ties a pious act, statement, belief, etc.
Origin of pietyOld French pieté from Ecclesiastical Late Latin pietas, duty to God from L, dutiful conduct, scrupulousness from pius: see pious
- The state or quality of being pious, especially:a. Religious devotion and reverence.b. Devotion and reverence to parents and family: filial piety.
- A devout act, thought, or statement.
- a. A position held conventionally or hypocritically.b. A statement of such a position: “the liberated pieties of people who believe that social attitudes have kept pace with women's aspirations” ( Erica Abeel )
Origin of pietyMiddle English piete mercy, pity from Old French from Latin pietās dutiful conduct from pius dutiful
(countable and uncountable, plural pieties)