- a person, animal, or thing that growls
- ⌂ Slang
- a pail or can used to carry out beer bought at a saloon, microbrewery, etc.
- a keg of beer, equal to barrel
- a small iceberg
- ⌂ an electromagnetic device used to find short circuits in coils and for magnetizing and demagnetizing
- One, such as a dog, that growls.
- A small iceberg.
- Electricity An electromagnetic device with two poles, used for magnetizing, demagnetizing, and finding short-circuited coils.
- Informal A pail or other container used for carrying beer, especially a half-gallon or gallon glass jug with a gasket or screw cap.
Origin of growlerSense 4, from the sound made by carbon dioxide escaping from under the lids of metal pails in which beer was carried in the past .
- A person, creature or thing that growls.
- (historical, slang) A cab with four wheels.
- A small iceberg or ice floe which is barely visible over the surface of the water.
- (informal) A kind of jug used to carry beer (in current usage, a 2-liter or 64-ounce container with or without a handle; sometimes extended to similarly shaped 32-ounce jug, but not bottles).
- (dialect, UK, Yorkshire) A pork pie.
- (UK, slang) The vulva.
growl + -er