- a fit of bad humor
- a grumpy person
Origin of grumpprobably echoic of ill-tempered cry
to complain and grumble
- A cranky complaining person.
- grumps A fit of ill temper. Used with the: “Hannah had the grumps, for being up late didn't suit her” (Louisa May Alcott).
intransitive verbgrumped, grump·ing, grumps
- To mutter complaints.
- To behave in a grumpy manner.
Origin of grumpOrigin unknown.
(third-person singular simple present grumps, present participle grumping, simple past and past participle grumped)
- (intransitive) to complain
- (intransitive) to be grumpy