- a person strongly devoted to something or someone: a devotee of the ballet
- a person extremely devoted to religion; zealot
The definition of a devotee is a someone with a strong belief in something.
An example of a devotee is a person who attends mass daily.
- One who is ardently devoted to something; an enthusiast or advocate: a devotee of sports.
- An ardent or fanatical adherent of a religion.
From French devotee (“devoted”)
- Besides, he was, if not an entirely impartial writer, neither a devotee nor an opponent of democracy.
- The devotee had his head covered, and after the act turned himself round from left to right.
- - Sikh devotee, Akali or Nihung, vowed to the wearing of blue and steel, &c.
- The assault made upon the Macedonian devotee in the temple of Serapis at Memphis " because he was a Greek " is significant (Papyr.
- The pilgrimage to Gangotri is considered efficacious in washing away the sins of the devotee, and ensuring him eternal happiness in the world to come.