- a person strongly devoted to something or someone: a devotee of the ballet
- a person extremely devoted to religion; zealot
The definition of a devotee is a someone with a strong belief in something.
An example of a devotee is a person who attends mass daily.
- One who is ardently devoted to something; an enthusiast or advocate: a devotee of sports.
- An ardent or fanatical adherent of a religion.
From French devotee (“devoted”)
- Besides, he was, if not an entirely impartial writer, neither a devotee nor an opponent of democracy.
- The devotee had his head covered, and after the act turned himself round from left to right.
- - Sikh devotee, Akali or Nihung, vowed to the wearing of blue and steel, &c.
- By some considered as a fanatical devotee, and by others as given up to mysticism, he is generally described as kind and gentle in disposition, and devoted to the interests of his country.
- Fenion assailed him on the religious side, and managed to transform him into a devotee, exceedingly affectionate, earnest and religious, but woefully lacking in tact and common sense.