A lover of fine wine.
A lover of fine food.
- Either partner in a sexual relationship of any kind.
- Either partner in an adulterous or otherwise illicit sexual relationship.
- (old-fashioned) The illicit male sexual partner of a married woman.
- A person with regard to his or her degree of sexual skill, responsiveness, etc.
An example of a lover is someone who appreciates and savors pinot noir wine.
Origin of lover
- From Middle English lover, lovyere, derivative of loven, lovien (“to love"), equivalent to love +"Ž -er.