- a person who greatly enjoys something or has great affection for something: a lover of fine wine
- a person who loves sexually or romantically; specif.,
- either partner in a sexual relationship of any kind
- either partner in an adulterous or otherwise illicit sexual relationship
- Old-fashioned the illicit male sexual partner of a married woman
- a person with regard to his or her degree of sexual skill, responsiveness, etc.
- [pl.] a couple in love with each other or in a sexual relationship with each other
The definition of a lover is a sexual partner or a person who deeply enjoys something.
An example of a lover is someone who appreciates and savors pinot noir wine.
- a. One who loves another, especially one who is involved in a romantic or sexual relationship with another.b. lovers A couple who are in love with each other.
- One who is fond of or devoted to something: a lover of fine food.
From Middle English lover, lovyere, derivative of loven, lovien (“to love"), equivalent to love +"Ž -er.
- Her demon lover was gone and her body covered with a sheet.
- She's as upset as a jilted lover over Quinn's attitude and I'm afraid she's going to do something irrational.
- In fact, he wasn't much of a lover at all.
- His last lover – the only other he'd ever taken – had been the opposite of Harmony.
- "Business," his second-in-command and current lover said, seating herself.