Variant of cult
- a system of religious worship or ritual
- a quasi-religious group, often living in a colony, with a charismatic leader who indoctrinates members with unorthodox or extremist views, practices, or beliefs
- devoted attachment to, or extravagant admiration for, a person, principle, or lifestyle, esp. when regarded as a fad: the cult of nudism
- the object of such attachment
- a group of followers; sect
Origin: ; from Classical Latin cultus, care, cultivation, origin, originally past participle of colere, to till: see wheel
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.