- the tendency to be self-centered, or to consider only oneself and one's own interests; selfishness
- egotism; conceit
- Ethics the doctrine that self-interest is the proper goal of all human actions
Origin of egoismFrench égoïsme ; from Classical Latin ego: see I
- a. The doctrine that human behavior is motivated by self-interest.b. The belief that self-interest provides the proper basis for moral behavior.
- Egotism; conceit. See Synonyms at conceit.
(countable and uncountable, plural egoisms)
- (tendency to think of self): altruism