The definition of generosity is the quality of being willing to share.
An example of generosity is always donating extra food and supplies to shelters.
- the quality of being generous; specif.,
- nobility of mind; magnanimity
- willingness to give or share; unselfishness
- pl. -·ties a generous act
Origin of generosityMiddle English generosite ; from Classical Latin generositas ; from generosus
- Liberality in giving or willingness to give: a philanthropist's generosity.
- Kindness or magnanimity: spoke of his rival with generosity.
- Amplitude; abundance: the generosity of the salaries.
- A generous act: “The cries of welcome recalled vanished generosities of the old city” (Lawrence Durrell).
Origin of generosityMiddle English generosite, from Old French, from Latin gener&omacron;sit&amacron;s, from gener&omacron;sus, generous; see generous.
(countable and uncountable, plural generosities)
From Middle French générosité