- The definition of marvelous is a surprising, amazing or very good person, thing or event.
- An example of a marvelous day is a beautiful sunny day when the forecast was rain.
- An example of a marvelous event is the first time a plane took flight.
marvelous definition by Webster's New World
- causing wonder; surprising, astonishing, or extraordinary
- so extraordinary as to be improbable, incredible, or miraculous
- very good; fine; splendid
Origin: Middle English merveilous ; from Old French merveillos ; from merveille: see marvel
Also Chiefly Brit.marvellous
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- marvelously adverb
marvelous definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Causing wonder or astonishment.
- Miraculous; supernatural.
- Of the highest or best kind or quality; first-rate: has a marvelous collection of rare books.
- marˈvel·ous·ly adverb
- marˈvel·ous·ness noun