If you are a superstitious person, then a black cat crossing your path is portent of bad luck in your future.
An example of a portent is a black cat crossing your path, which is a sign of bad luck to come.
- something that portends an event about to occur, esp. an unfortunate event; omen
- a portending; significance: a howl of dire portent
- something amazing; marvel
Origin of portentClassical Latin portentum from portendere: see portend
- An indication of something important or calamitous about to occur; an omen.
- Prophetic or threatening significance: signs full of portent.
- Archaic Something amazing or marvelous; a prodigy.
Origin of portentLatin portentum from neuter past participle of portendere to portend ; see portend .
portend +"Ž -ent